Saturday, December 7, 2013

Updating Linux Mint: Nemo v. Nautilus v. Baobab

I'm in the process of updating to Linux Mint 16 (Petra, Cinnamon-flavor), and I've already run into one bit of minor insanity.  Mint 16 switched its file manager from Nautilus to Nemo, a fork of Nautilus. That's fine with me. There are minor adjustments to make, but no big deal.

Except ... after installing Petra and then downloading a file using Firefox, I right-clicked the file's entry in Firefox's download list and clicked "Open Containing Folder", expecting to, well, open the Downloads folder. Instead, Firefox launched the Disk Usage Analyzer (?!).

A web search found a small number of reports of this with no fixes posted. It took a lot of digging before I finally put together the facts that (a) Firefox uses MIME types to decide what applications to launch and (b) the name of the disk usage analyzer is "Baobab", not "Disk Usage Analyzer". Armed with that, I found a line in /usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache (line 368 in my copy; your mileage may vary) that read:
inode/directory=baobab.desktop;nemo.desktop;
So I ran sudo gedit  /usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache, changed that line to
inode/directory=nemo.desktop;baobab.desktop;
and saved the file. Immediately (without having to restart it), Firefox sobered up and starting opening the Downloads folder in Nemo. I guess Firefox uses the first available program in a list of applications for a given MIME type, and for whatever reason someone thought Baobab should have precedence over Nemo.

Update: As soon as I posted this, I went back to fiddling with my installation, and installed the nemo-dropbox package from Synaptic, which integrates Dropbox with Nemo. It also downloaded Dropbox, regardless of the fact that Dropbox was already installed. :-( Not only that, it apparently modified mimeinfo.cache, because mimeinfo.cache reverted to its original self. I had to edit it again. Looks like this may be the gift that keeps on giving. :-(

One other note to self: the annotations on the Dropbox folder (up-to-date, being synched, ...) that are the whole point of the nemo-dropbox package only show up after you stop Nemo (nemo -q) and then restart it.

Update #2: I think it's solved now. After noting that /usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache had reverted yet again, I added the line
inode/directory=nemo.desktop;baobab.desktop;
to  ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list. That should override the entry in /usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache.

17 comments:

  1. Thank you! I had this issue from start since the Petra installation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mean it wasn't specifically picking on me? :-) You're welcome.

      Delete
  2. thank you for sharing this tip

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you very much!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you very much! Glad I found a solution!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you so very much. You have solved a big problem of mine :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks was a lot of help

    ReplyDelete
  8. 2017 and this is still a working fix. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I'm a bit baffled that it's still an issue, but relieved that at least the fix still works.

      Delete
  9. Sir,thank you so much.
    linux mint 18.1

    ReplyDelete
  10. it has solved the problem, thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete

If this is your first time commenting on the blog, please read the Ground Rules for Comments. In particular, if you want to ask an operations research-related question not relevant to this post, consider asking it on OR-Exchange.