To understand both the problem and what appears to be the solution (knock on virtual wood), you have to know a bit about my setup. I have a PC dedicated to recording and replaying TV. The front and back ends of MythTV are both on that box. The box has three network connections:
- eth0 is a built-in (and unused) Ethernet port;
- eth1 is a Hauppauge WinTV-DCR external TV tuner, connected via USB; and
- wlan0 is a wireless network adapter, connecting the PC to my home WiFi network (I have DSL service with a DSL modem that also serves as gateway and WiFi router).
After more adventures with Google, including the discovery of a proposed workaround in this bug ticket, I found a combination of things that seems to have worked. On three successive reboots the front end has been able to converse with the back end, I have been able to schedule recordings, and the PC can see the tuner. I've yet to actually record something, but I'm cautiously optimistic.
I don't know if all the following steps are necessary, and I'm not going to experiment further unless the system breaks again. What I did was:
- disabled IPv6 as described in the bug ticket (which, from experience, was not sufficient in and of itself);
- assigned the wireless connection on the PC (wlan0) a static IP address within the range supported by my DSL modem;
- ran the back end setup program and changed the IP address of both local and master back ends (which are the same in my case) to that static IP address; and
- changed the IPv6 settings for both eth0 and eth1 from "automatic" to "ignore".
That leaves me with one mildly annoying problem. During the period where the front and back ends were not communicating, MythTV failed to record a few scheduled programs. One of them appears in the list of recorded shows with a size of 1 byte. This by itself is not the issue. What's annoying is that it appears in the list 1,100 times! Or at least it did: I've gotten it down to a bit over 1,000 by manually deleting the entries one at a time. I'm hoping there's a clever and much more efficient way to get rid of the rest. Ordinarily I'd crank up the MySQL command client and run a delete query on the database, but the MythTV database has quite a few tables, I'm not sure what all I would have to delete, and I really don't want to mess up the database.