Saturday, December 2, 2017

Creating A New MIME Type

I struggled a bit this afternoon creating a new MIME type and associating it with a particular application, so I'm going to archive the solution here for future reference. This was on a Linux Mint system, but I found the key information in a GNOME documentation page, so I suspect it works for Ubuntu and other systems using a GNOME-based desktop (and maybe even more generally?).

The application in question is FreeFileSync, an open-source program (that I definitely recommend) for syncing directories. I use FFS to sync mirror certain directories in my home partition to an external drive. For each such directory, I have a FFS configuration, created in the FFS GUI and stored in a separate XML file (with extension .ffs_gui).

Unlike applications installed from .deb files (where the installer handles the MIME-type stuff for you), FFS comes as an archive that you simply extract and park somewhere, so it does not create its own MIME-type or associate itself with an existing one. On my PC, Mint (with the MATE desktop environment) associated the extension .ffs_gui with XML files in general, so making FFS the default program for .ffs_gui files would have made it the default for all XML files, which is clearly undesirable. So I decided to create a MIME type for it. I also decided to store the necessary information in my home partition, rather than changing system files, so that a future system upgrade would not clobber the changes.

Google searches produced a variety of (rather complicated) solutions, one or two of which I tried but failed to get to work. Fortunately, the steps on the GNOME page mostly did work. First, I created ~/.local/share/mime/packages/application-x-freefilesync.xml as instructed, naming the new MIME type application/x-freefilesync and setting the glob pattern to *.ffs_gui. Second, I created a new desktop file (~/.local/share/applications/freefilesync.desktop) using the new MIME type and pointing to the FFS executable. Finally, I ran

update-mime-database ~/.local/share/mime


update-desktop-database ~/.local/share/applications

(as myself, not as root).

The GNOME page suggests using the gio program to verify the results, but I don't have that installed on my system. What did work was to open a terminal in the directory where the FFS configuration files were stored, pick one (say, foo.ffs_gui) and run

xdg-mime query filetype foo.ffs_gui

to query its MIME-type, confirming that the result was application/x-freefilesync.

After that, I right-clicked foo.ffs_gui in the file manager (Caja, on my system), chose Properties > Open With, added FFS and made it the default for all .ffs_gui files, and that was that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to intermittent spamming, comments are being moderated. If this is your first time commenting on the blog, please read the Ground Rules for Comments. In particular, if you want to ask an operations research-related question not relevant to this post, consider asking it on Operations Research Stack Exchange.