Friday, January 27, 2023

Weird Caja Bug

In the past day or so I've tripped over a rather annoying bug in Caja, the file manager for the MATE desktop (which I use with Linux Mint, and which is also used by many Ubuntu users). Theoretically, the F2 key is a shortcut for Edit > Rename..., which lets you rename selected files. Usually, it works fine, but today (and at least once in the recent past) the F2 key had no effect.

At first I thought there was a problem with my keyboard, but no, the F2 key was being recognized. A Google search led me to a bug report from 2018 (!) where a diligent soul with screen name "terzag" discovered that the problem occurred when the Caja window displayed a vertical scrollbar and disappeared when the window was resized large enough to lose the scrollbar. Sure enough, that fix worked for me today ... and then things got weirder.

I did a little experimenting, and the bug reappeared when the scrollbar reappeared and disappeared whenever the scrollbar disappeared. Then I tried F2 with multiple file icons selected (which opens a dialog to bulk rename them), and it worked, despite there being a visible scrollbar. Since then, no matter how many times I close and reopen Caja, the bug does not manifest. So it is temporarily fixed, I guess, with emphasis on "temporarily".

I also encountered a possibly related bug, again reported years ago. If I hit either F2 or Edit > Rename... without first selecting one or more files, it closes (crashes?) all open Caja windows. I'm pretty sure that's a bug and not a "feature".

Hopefully this all gets fixed relatively soon ... although looking at bug reports from almost five years ago does not make me feel sanguine about the prospects.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to intermittent spamming, comments are being moderated. If this is your first time commenting on the blog, please read the Ground Rules for Comments. In particular, if you want to ask an operations research-related question not relevant to this post, consider asking it on Operations Research Stack Exchange.